Friday 7 March 2014

DUXFORD SPRING QUILT FAIR


Report from Duxford quilt fair today.  We arrived at around 10.30 am, lots of cars there already and a queue for tickets.  We had pre-paid £5 over 60, £6 under which was a saving of £1 on the door price, so we were waved through.  That was worth it as it was cold and windy.  The male toilets had large female signs on which is terrific, well done Duxford.
The tea area is now on the far left hand side of the hanger, near to a fabulous plane (sorry didnt take note what it was), I thought plenty of seating, large area, bit too large for sandwiches (very expensive) hot food, cake (yummy but I didnt) and tea & coffee, not much of a queue when I went to get a lovely hot chocolate, which was £2.50.  Coffee and tea was £2 & latte etc £2.50


My opinion of the general show (my opinion) is that it was a bit like the market of quilt shows, I was quite disappointed.  Lots of stalls with £5 & £6 per metre fabric.  Mostly the cheap stuff, has to be a trader cant buy quality fabric that cheap you know, the mark up is not what it should be.  Lots of stalls cutting fabric with long queues as they didnt have enough staff.  The isle with Kaleidescope books and lady sew and sew was daft, no where near large enough.  Lady sew and sew (not my favourite place, miserable staff) had their huge wadding bolts right out into the isle, I would not buy wadding like that with all the fibres and germs from all the people on it!  But then I am fussy.
There were a couple of demonstrators who have been there before, nothing new.  The sewing machine shop had Janome and a few Berninas but no Bernina spares, poor I thought.  The French stand with their unique hand printed fabrics were not doing much of a trade.  I found a stand selling bag handles with a free bag pattern which I thought was a good idea & I think I will sell some of the handles too.

Nothing was memorable, honestly this is my opinion, I dont think I will go again.
The quilts - miniatures that were not.  That makes me mad.  Journal type quilts which were lovely.  Beautifully framed machine embroideries, which were nothing out of the ordinary except they were framed well.  Some very nice basic quilts, thats about i.  Except for my highlight of the day.  The Imperial War Museum had a stand outside the door with lots of stuff (repro) from the first or second world war and there they were, the teddy bears.  I picked one up with joined arms and legs and black glass button eyes and fell in love with it (made in Germany, which I thought so funny in an odd sort of way)  I decided to buy it and then I looked at the other one who looked so sad, I couldnt resist and bought both of them, Im going to name them Nina & Jack after my parents.  Make clothes for them and keep them for my Grandson when he is older to play with here at my home.  I love them, so cute.  Yep I have finally gone bonkers.
I bought very little.  On the way back we stopped at a quilt shop where my Cheltenham spire bag was very much admired so I did a self promo which I think shocked the staff a bit.  I was tired by then.
I didnt take any pictures, some of the stands had no photography on them, heavens knows why cause there was nothing to shout about, gosh how many people would be able to make an exact copy of a quilt from a tiny photo, its daft
Im glad I went especially with such lovely friends.  I am now looking forward to the Malvern quilt show.  I just love Malvern.
The first two images are two of the fabrics I used for my Cheltenham spire bag, taught yesterday.  If you would like to make this bag then please contact me to go on a waiting list.
The third image is of a laminated bag kit available on the website
www.patchworkfabricuk.co.uk  or www.studioapatchshe.co.uk
Choose any fabric & in the kit will be enough fabric to make a Laminated tote style bag & a set of instructions, all for £14 including UK mainland & NI postage.  Postage for elsewhere will be at the additional cost
The final bag is my Lally bag workshop - Tuesday 8th April 2014.  Cransley Village Hall - £25.  10am to 3.50pm contact by clicking on the word HERE
This is a beautiful large bag with a plaited handle, pockets in side, a button fastening and a zigzag top.  It requires a charm pack plus 1 metre.  A kit from fabrics on the website is available contact with your requirements.

Im watching the Athletics, having a rest this evening & into designing tomorrow hopefully.  I am hopeful that absorbing the general stitchery atmosphere today will spark off some creativity
Have a great weekend.  Ill try to do a newsletter soon and more Deli paper & Glassine play.  Creative packs are now available.  Mark one are selling fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment, regards Shelagh

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...