Monday 2 July 2012

LINDISFARNE


Hey Mr dreamseller, where have you been,
tell me have you dreams i can see?
I came along, just to bring you this song,
Can you spare one dream for me?

You won't have met me, and you'll soon forget me,
so don't mind me tugging at your sleeve.
I'm asking you, if i can fix a rendezvous.
For your dreams are all I believe.

Meet me on the corner when the lights are coming on,
and i'll be there, i promise i'll be there.
Down the empty streets we'll disappear until the dawn
if you have dreams enough to share.
Lay down your bundles, of rags and reminders,
and spread your wares on the ground.
Well I've got time, if you deal in rhyme,
I'm just hanging around.

Meet me on the Corner by Lindisfarne, one of my all time favourite groups & songs along with Lady Eleanor.  1970's visit to the Library (hey what is that!!?) to find out about Lindisfarne Island.  Last week was my birthday, not the biggie but a gift from my wonderful children
This is the Lindisfarne tale (or the gospel according to Shelagh)
Lindisfarne Island or Holy Island, is cut off from the mainland for about 6 hours at a time, depending on the tides.  It is accessed by a mile long causeway.  There are no barriers, no one in charge, its up to you to decide if it is safe.  The suggested times are posted.  This was my birthday morning, bright blue sunshine and the traffic just starting to cross, I was very excited (not crying yet!)
What terrific texture & how clear everything was
This is not rain (for a change) its sea water.  There is part of the causeway that is a bridge because the water never receeds.  I must say this was very exciting
Holy island
In 635AD Saint Aidan established the first monastery that became the beacon for early Christian learning throughout Britain.  It was also here that Bishop Eadfrith created the magnificent 7th century manuscripts, known as the Lindisfarne Gospels.  The island was also the home of Saint Cuthbert  whose life was full of religious dedication
The wall is the edge of our hotel.  Lindisfarne Abbey & Church

Eadfrith, the Bishop of Lindisfarne was the scribe who worked for many years in his cell painting and copying the words of the four gospels.  The parchment was made from calfskin,  cured to withstand paint as well as ink.  Each skin formed two pages.
He used a pin to prick out lines to guide his work.  Using a quill made from goose feathers or thick reed he also made the dark brown ink, which has not lost any of its original hue over time.
40 different shades were made from flowers and fruits for purples and pinks.  Yellows and greens came from minerals and dried insect eggs gave him the reds.
More greens were derived from vinegar poured over copper.  The blues came from a stone found in the Himalaya.
For us who dye this is wonderful information
Ill be back with the next installment, got to go and eat now, thanks for reading.  There is so much information on Holy Island on Google if you are interested.
One final note, the Olympic torch passed yards away from where I work today, it stopped raining and I have no image as I took a video which gobbled up all of my space - lol.  Ill post it soon x





2 comments:

  1. I thought I'd finally come out of the bush and tell you how much I enjoy your ramblings, physical and with a needle. This started when you and Dale were challenging each other! Neat teapots! I gather you don't teach C&G machine embroidery by internet?? It is something some of us are presently investigating.
    Cheers for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post really brought back memories, both of the song( I knew all the words!) and of Lindisfarne, which I visited several times as a child. We used to stay in Eyemouth, and I still remember it quite clearly. Glad the wedding went off so well. It was nice to see the photos.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, regards Shelagh

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...